Disclaimer! When they look like Eugenia Cooney – just step in. If they are that far in, do something!
This all coming from my own experience, and what I didn’t like, didn’t want said nothing. Also what I needed and maybe still need to be done and said.
Things NOT to do
- Don’t watch me eat
- Don’t put food in front of me
- Don’t fix my plate
- Don’t touch me
- Don’t approach the subject
- Don’t tell me to go to therapy
- Don’t tell me to go to the doctor
These are mostly self explanatory. I still don’t like it today. I hate people watching me eat and I have been trying to talk about it more. I am actually going to check into an eating disorder clinic at the end of the year to fully recover.
Things NOT to say
- “Just eat like a normal person” – okay well just saying just eat is bullshit too and its like I would love to but I can’t help that I feel like I’m a huge ass whale.
- “You’ve put on weight” – trust me I know. I know when I lose it and when I gain it. and when you point it out it makes me feel more fat even though you might think I looks good
- “What have you eaten today?” – This is not so much an issue now but before it was cause I would have to lie, But then it’s not even a direct accusation. Just made me uncomfortable
A Recovering Survivor